Bloodaxe Chronicles Forum Index Bloodaxe Chronicles
Bloodaxe NWN Realms Website

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Future 3rd age (Discussions)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bloodaxe Chronicles Forum Index -> Forums of the 3rd age
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arathyra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Future 3rd age (Discussions) Reply with quote

A few questions about the 3rd age:

What would you like to see changed to make it more playable?

A: a road through the desert field so you can easier find the way
B: more supplies in the vendors to make CNR-crafting easier
C: the weight of the items has to become lesser (like the pelts, coin pouch etc)
D: better stats for the CNR-crafted items

Has the 3rd age then a future with those changes?

A: yes
B: no

I would like to see your opinion to these questions.

Bloodaxe Staff

Last edited by Arathyra on Sun Jul 31, 2005 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
1N54N3

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgive me if I'm being to blunt but the problem with 3rd age is this: NWN is a video game (as some of you may know) and BAR 3rd age was meant to make life living hell, to make it "realistic".

You know, if I wanted to wander through a desert having to keep 80 jugs of water so i dont dehydrate, never finding loot, always dying, etc., then I could go DO that in real life.

The main hinderance to BAR 3rd age is what it tried to be. It didn't make the NWN experience fun. Compared to 2nd age which was challenging yet still fun, the 3rd age was none of that.

While I will give major props to Raasta for the building genius that he is (i sincerely mean t his), he and the other builders were so concerned about hindering - perhaps even crippling powergamers - they forgot to make the module fun for everyone else.

My suggestions would be many. More than the 4 you provided. The main thing I always have and always will say is this: Don't cripple powergamers through the module, you only end up crippling everyone. Instead, reward the people that roleplay and try to play correctly through dms, then have the dms ignore the people that are powergaming as they are already getting their reward.
lowrider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1N54N3 wrote:
Forgive me ............

Amen to that
Arathyra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you reply Kyle.

Something I like to add: The former BAR Staff is changed. Also the Dev's/builders are playing another game (no offence). The players from 2nd age that wanted to see things with more reality, were also gone in a few weeks/months, because it was too hard to play:? . Therefore it stands empty. The new DM team tried to do some quests with the players that stayed. Anyway after some troubles with JG and such, the new Dev did make some
changes, but to change everything for an empty server it seems a waist of time to me. That is why I made this topic.

Bloodaxe Staff
1N54N3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you guys need any help with the building I have quite a bit of experience for that as I've been building pretty steady for another server. I can also do some scripting, nothing fancy but I can do anything I need for myself and some others. Let me know if you'd like some help in tweaking the 3rd age. I know this server/mod has a future, we just have to make it more fun so that players will want to come, and more importantly, stay.
1N54N3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Suggestions on things to fix/add/remove.

Arrow Take out all of the stuff required for resting and exploring. (bedrolls, water, etc.) Bioware didn't put this stuff in for a reason, they knew it wouldn't add to the gameplay experience. It wouldn't have in single player and it certainly doesnt in multiplayer.

Arrow Increase (very slightly) the xp given on the server. I don't know if it is possible to get level 20 or level 40 here but I know many players just think the amount of xp given is "boring". Perhaps increasing it by 5-10% or something would help solve that.

Arrow Remove the trainers. People don't want to wait until they are in town to level up. The chance of dying, losing xp, and having to re-level is bad enough. Many other factors in the trainer system ruin gameplay.

Arrow More DMs on staff and more quests or dm events for the players. This always has been and certainly always will be the biggest draw for players. Where there are active, friendly dms then you'll also find active, friendly playerbases as well. One of the biggest problems with BAR in the past was: 1) DMs were rarely on and 2) When a DM was on, they were usually lurking in the shadows diciplining rule breakers instead of reward the good roleplayers, etc.

I may have more suggestions in the future but for now that is all I can think of. Of course the things I mentioned would be in addition to the things you suggested yourself. They are wonderful ideas in themselves. Let me know what you think of mine. Smile
lowrider

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition what Kyle suggested:

More suggestions

Arrow Delete the script for breaking weapons. It freaked me out when a DM hands you over a sword of lightning from a quest and one week later it breaks.
With 1-2 players online and no-one making weapons this is annoying. So skip that script. Or else the one player that does CNR has his hands full with re-making worthless items.

Arrow Improve the items like weapons/armor/gear. IE: there is absolutely no special cloth or DEX armor for monks etc.. nor in CNR.

Arrow Lack of story or any DM guidance like on authorities in so called oriental named cities. some books are available but no one bothers to read 3333333 pages of utter crap.

Arrow Better backups of character vault, was bad enough we lost the server vault.

Arrow Maybe announcing special events to attract players in the hope they stay on BAR3

And to answer Arathyra

Arathyra wrote:
A few questions about the 3rd age:

What would you like to see changed to make it more playable?

A: a road through the desert field so you can easier find the way
B: more supplies in the vendors to make CNR-crafting easier
C: the weight of the items has to become lesser (like the pelts, coin pouch etc)
D: better stats for the CNR-crafted items

I only vote B and D

Arathyra wrote:

Has the 3rd age then a future with those changes?

A: yes
B: no

A - yes, i hope, it all depends if people are willing to return to Neverwinter however its a lost cause because most players moved on playing other better games and in 2006 we have Neverwinter2 (estimate)

Gustav
1N54N3

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd vote b,c,d and my answer would be yes BAR 3 does have a future if you get the right people doing the right things to fix any problems with it. Let us know how you feel as a staff on this.
Arathyra

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will reply to this post soon.

I will do it after my holiday, as I don't have any reply yet from the other Staff Members.

Bloodaxe Staff
Fargham

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[This post has been removed]
lowrider

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1N54N3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arathyra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys, even when I am on holiday, I have access here and can lock posts or do what I should do as Head DM. Now keep it to the point please. I ll read the post better then I do now next time I have access to the internet. I just gave a quick reply on it.

Bloodaxe Staff
Taino

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think to make the 3rd age a better place:

Idea Raise the xps and gold

Idea Have the vendors sell materials for the players

Idea Place a NPC Crafter "Master Blacksmith". Have him fix the breakable weapons before they break. For a small fee.. Twisted Evil

Idea Get rid of the trainers.

Idea Keep the water, bedroll addition, maybe also add some rations for resting.

Idea Add abit more treasure to the bandits and other HARD encounters you fight.

Idea Improve the items like weapons, armor and equipment.

Idea If you do decide to kepp the CNR, then please make it a little more accessable to the players.

Their are a few of my points (their maybe more, but here are a few of them). Lets act like adults here, please. If their are powergammers, please let them join and try it when I am Dming. I would love to see How tough or How much of Powergammers they really are. We understand Rassta did some work in the 3rd age, but he also had help with the 3rd age. (building, scripting and so on.)

Funny how when Im on the 3rd or 2nd age for hours at a time. No one logs in for any reason.
For your remark Kyle:
More DMs on staff and more quests or dm events for the players. This always has been and certainly always will be the biggest draw for players. Where there are active, friendly dms then you'll also find active, friendly playerbases as well. One of the biggest problems with BAR in the past was: 1) DMs were rarely on and 2) When a DM was on, they were usually lurking in the shadows diciplining rule breakers instead of reward the good roleplayers, etc.

That must of been before I was Dm (back in the days of 1st, 2nd age). Just like you said. I know you probely know their is a new staff in the BAR, so I can ensure you things are being worked on. But I can tell you, "I rather grant xps to a player that roleplays then prowergame or doesnt even play his/her character correctly".

Whenever anyone creates a MOD their is alot of thought and time into it. Such as books (stories) or have not. But when a story in a book gets to be alot of reading, the players dont even bother to finish reading it. Im sure alot of players will agree with me on that.

And yes their are other games out their, and we all know what they are. Once NWN2 comes out, Im sure their wont be NWN1 around. So please do what you all are doing now and live life happy.. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

..Safe Journey..
Cameron

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, trainers were removed several months ago: http://bloodaxe.mhoc.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=32

Also, you can repair your weapons. I believe you only need 3 levels in weapons making to repair iron weapons. Even if you don't want to craft surely you can make one friend who makes weapons to repair yours every once in a while. The only stipulation to this is that once the weapon breaks for good, it's gone.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Bloodaxe Chronicles Forum Index -> Forums of the 3rd age All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum